Your Money Matters Workshop
Credit Counselling Society and Wainwright & District FCS present an evening workshop which includes the following information:
- Debt Solutions
- Communicating with Creditors
- Credit Reports
- Basic Budgeting
- Survival on irregular income
- Q & A Period
Thursday, September 29, 2016.
6:00 PM to 8:00 PM.
Wainwight Communiplex, Hall A.
Registration is required. Please contact Joelle Broadhead.
For more information, please call 780-842-2555.
What makes a caregiver?
What makes a caregiver? A caregiver is a family member or friend who provides unpaid care for a loved one living with challenges due to disability, illness, or aging. Do you take your elderly parents grocery shopping every week? What if you regularly drive a close friend to medical appointments? Did you cancel a night out with friends to care for your spouse that is ill? You’re a caregiver, and for that we thank you.
As Silver Donald Cameron Said “If Canadas health care system were a plant, family caregivers would be its roots—fragile, vital and invisible.” There are over 600,000 caregivers in Alberta.
There are many different resources available to caregivers on the Alberta Caregivers Association website, www.AlbertaCaregivers.org. If you’re in Edmonton relax in their Caregiver Connection Centre and connect with other caregivers. With all these resources available we hope to encourage caregivers to thrive as much as possible, as well as the loved ones they care for. This is the week for us all to thank a caregiver we know.
10 Year Anniversary of Parent Link Centres
• Parent Link Centres (PLCs) are a provincial network of family resource centres offering five core services: early childhood development programs, parent education programs (including Triple P-Positive Parenting Program), family support services (such as community kitchens and toy lending libraries), information and referral services to connect families to other resources in each community, and developmental screening (using the Ages and Stages Questionnaire) to screen children for early developmental difficulties.
• Alberta’s first PLCs were established in 2004-2005 to provide accessible, affordable, community-based programs and resources for families with children under six.
• The PLC Initiative was successfully built in stages. Twenty-two PLCs were established in 2004/2005, 14 in 2005/06, 10 in 2006/07 and 4 new PLCs and 2 PLC satellite sites in 2014/15. Alberta’s current PLC Initiative now includes a total of 50 PLCs and 2 satellite sites that reach out to 180 communities.
• Since 2004, the PLC Initiative has grown from serving approximately 6,000 Albertans to over 94,000 by 2014.
“How’s Your Sleep?” by Dr. Ken Harrison
As a counselling psychologist one of the things I often ask about is how well people sleep. It is an important question considering that sleep disturbance is estimated to affect some 13% to 24% of Canadian adults and may apply to nearly as many children. Insomnia is one type of sleep disturbance that includes variations on difficulty initiating or maintaining sleep (the most common complaint), early waking, and nonrestorative or poor quality sleep.
As a rule of thumb, if it takes more than 30 minutes to fall asleep, night-time waking occurs for more than 30 minutes, or total sleep time is less than 6.5 hours per night, and this occurs 3 or more nights per week for more than one month, chronic insomnia could be a problem. Initial onset of sleep difficulties is often triggered by the presence of emotional or physical discomfort. More chronic versions of insomnia may be preceded by significant life changes, enduring periods of stress or emotional upset, and a number of medical diagnoses. Early efforts to address those emotional, psychological, and medical factors would surely be a good preventative measure.
Dr. Ken Harrison, Counselling Psychologist, is providing general counselling services at the offices of Wainwright & District Family & Community Services.
To book an appointment, please call: 780-842-2555.
Meals on Wheels
Wainwright & District Family & Community Services, Living at Home Program is suspending the Meals on Wheels service until further notice.
Wainwright & District FCS to celebrate 42 years
July 2016 will mark the forty-second anniversary for Wainwright and District Family and Community Services. Initiated by Town of Wainwright Administrator, Ernie Bouchard, Wainwright and Area Preventative Social Services, as it was named back then, officially began operating in July of 1973. Read more history…