FCS logo

Wainwright & District
Family and Community Services—  Building Community  —

Our Story: FCS History

Wainwright and District Family and Community Services Marks its 35th Anniversary

July 2008 marked the 35th anniversary for Wainwright and District Family and Community Services. Initiated by the Town of Wainwright Administrator, Ernie Bouchard in 1973, Wainwright and Area Preventative Social Services, as it was named back then, officially began operating in July of 1973. Initially the participating municipalities were the Town of Wainwright, the Municipal District of Wainwright and the Villages of Chauvin and Irma with Edgerton joining the multi-municipal partnership in 1981.

With a single staff person, Director, Robert Turner, the P.S.S. office was temporarily located in the Wainwright Town Council Chambers. The first appointees to the Preventative Social Services Board were Addy Coleman, P.S.S. Chairman and Mayor of Wainwright; Town Councillors Kathleen J. Taylor, and John Galipeau; Municipal District of Wainwright Councillors Howard Johnson and Stan Shynoweth; Village of Chauvin Councillor Harold Hjelmeland; and, Village of Irma Councillor Charlie Milne. Edgerton’s first representative was Mrs. Lou Anderson.

From its inception in 1973 providing support to a single program; the Wainwright Children’s Centre, to current times; providing a full range of preventive services; Wainwright and District Family and Community Services has grown to serve the needs of the citizens of our dynamic and vibrant communities.

Pictured are, Myron Zajic, Harold McMann, Addy Coleman, Iris Ebbern and Lucille Andersen. Cathy Charlton photo

Wainwright & District F.C.S recently partnered with a ‘grand lady with a colourful past’ in the Stampede Parade. Pictured is a 1950 Dodge Limousine and her passengers: Myron Zajic, Current WDFCS Board Chairman, Harold McMann, past owner of the local ¬†Dodge dealership, Addy Coleman, former Mayor of Wainwright and first Wainwright and Area Preventive Social Services Board Chairman and honoured guests, Iris Ebbern and Lucille Andersen of Wainwright.

1950 Dodge Limousine as restored by Dennis Kile. Cathy Charlton photo

This 1950 Dodge was purchased by the Hahn family of Irma area. It eventually fell into disrepair until 1998 when Dennis Kile purchased and lovingly restored the vehicle. The limo’s gas tank will only hold ten gallons of fuel and did not come equipped with signal lights as they were deemed to be optional back in those days. A photo of the restored vehicle was sent to the Dodge museum in Detroit whereupon they promptly phoned to get more information as they were not aware of having produced any limousines in 1950!

(Article and photos submitted by Cathy Charlton)

Wainwright & Area
Preventative Social Services

Town Administrator Ernie Bouchard and Preventative Social Services Consultant Evelyn Nelson were, by their energetic involvement, largely instumental in the formation of Wainwright & Area Preventative Social Services, which officially began operation in July of 1973. The local municipalities of the Town of Wainwright, the M.D. of Wainwright, and the Villages of Chauvin and Irma provided the entire funding base for the program during the first six months of the program’s operation. The first provincial funding for the Wainwright program was received in January 1974. The Village of Edgerton joined the partnership in June of 1981.

First PSS Director

Initially, the Wainwright and Area Preventative Social Services program consisted of only one staff person, Director, Robert Turner, whose office was based in the Wainwright Town Council Chambers.

Initial Management Board

The Town of Wainwright was the acting management Board for the program for the first four months of operation. During this time, representatives from the other municipalities were a ppointed to the Preventative Social Services Board. The FCSS program and the funded projects relocated to an independent location after the formation of the appointed FCSS Board.

The first appointees to the Preventative Social Services Board were Addy Coleman, P.S.S. Chairman and Mayor of Wainwright; Town Councillors Kathleen J. Taylor, and John Galipeau; Municipal District of Wainwright Councillors Howard Johnson and Stan Shynoweth; Village of Chauvin Councillor Harold Hjelmeland; and, Village of Irma Councillor Charlie Milne. Edgerton’s first representative was Mrs. Lou Anderson.

Volunteer Core

There have been many outstanding individuals involved in the local programs since that time. These volunteers & staff have made important contributions to the program’s growth and evolution.

WDFCS Is Born

The Wainwright and Area Preventative Social Services program is now the Wainwright & District Family and Community Services program.

It has grown from supporting a single program, the Wainwright Children’s Centre to an organization that provides a range of preventive social programs from Early Childhood Services through the Parent Link program to seniors services including the Senior Needs and Living At Home programs. WDFCS employs a dedicated staff team to provide our services throughout the MD of Wainwright.

The scope of our program has increased tremendously over the last 35 years. We invite you to look through our website or Contact us for more information about our programs and services.